Webinar - a seminar on the world wide web (internet)
You can watch it (and participate) in your pajamas from your own home.
The OGS is presenting 4 Webinars about using Technology.
Presenter: Steve Fulton, Chair of the OGS Technical Solutions and Innovations Committee.
- Online Payments - PayPal and/or e-Store
January 24, 2012; 7:30 PM
- Websites - Our 24-Hour Employee
February 7, 2012;7:30 PM
- Software to Ease the Workload
February 21, 2012; 7:30 PM
- Tech in the Branch - Let's Talk
March 7, 2012, 7:30 PM
PRICE - FREE
45 minutes each
Participants will be asked to complete a brief survey to provide feedback
The Society hopes to offer other free or low-cost webinars
Webinar participants must have Microsoft Office Live Meeting software downloaded to their computers.
It is strongly recommended that you install this software well in advance of the webinar - so that if there are difficulties they can be dealt with before the webinar starts.
The following information is also in the Members Only section of the OGS website. Follow the instructions below to access this FREE software [Windows 7 systems may already have this software included]:
- On the Internet, go to the homepage of the National Institute for Genealogical Studies through which the Ontario Genealogical Society has access to Microsoft Office Live Meeting, to download the FREE software
- Point to INFORMATION at the top and from the drop-down menu left-click on LIVE MEETINGS
- In the grey area near the top of the page, left-click on DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS to open a PDF file which can be read using Adobe Reader (download it here). If you are using Windows 7, simply click on the "Download now" button. If you are using a different operating system, click on the link at the top of the screen which says, "Do you have a different language or operating system?" and follow the instructions for your system [Windows XP, Vista, etc.]
- Be sure to read the whole document before starting, making note of specific "do's" and "don'ts." THIS POINT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.
Join a Live Meeting
- To participate in this first OGS Webinar or Series after the software has been successfully installed on your computer, sign into the OGS Members' Only Section of the OGS website and follow the link "Attend Webinar".
- Following the instructions should bring up a screen which asks for the participant's first and last names.
- The Live Meeting Room will then open so that the participant can join the webinar session
- Watch for further e-Announces or links on the OGS website for future Webinars and Sign-in Instructions.
For the best results, please consider the following:
- Dial-up Internet access does not work since it is not fast enough
- Wi-Fi [wireless] works but is not optimal if the signal is not strong
- Results are best from a wired connection to the Internet [i.e. the computer is connected to a cable modem or router directly with a wire]
- Unfortunately, MAC computers will not work at this time
A Test Run date has been set for January 17, 2012. In order to testhe downloading and installing of the software, simply follow the Sign-in Instructions. If a screen appears welcoming you to the OGS Live Meeting Room, the software installation was successful.
Should you have any technical problems, contact the OGS Technical Solutions and Innovations Committee at email@example.com prior to the date of the first webinar in which you wish to participate.