From: Bill Gladstone, Canadian Jewish News
The Ward was a mixed-use area of modest frame cottages, row houses, restaurants, factories, shacks, stables, junkyards and two- and three-storey commercial buildings with family apartments or businesses upstairs.
It, was bounded by University Avenue and College, Queen and Yonge streets.
Its congested main streets and often muddy laneways and alleys were considered unhealthy, especially for the children who played in them from morning until evening, and who were often dirty, barefooted and ragged.
Toronto’s works department took some 3,000 photographs in the Ward around 1911, hoping to document the overcrowded and unsanitary conditions.
Picturing Immigrants in the Ward continues until May 2013
Admission is free.
See www.toronto.ca/archives for more details.